Saturday, March 04, 2006

28-Feb-2006

While reading maps to understand the city, I notice that a large number of locality names are very English like. For example – Richmond Circle, where my hotel is. Or John Nagar, Cox Town, Cleveland, Cooke Town or Murphy Town. Even a few roads like Victoria Road, Brigade or Millers Road. I think the names provide an interesting twist to the city. It will be a pity when (not if) politicians decide to rename these to Vellamma Road, Bhasker or Malu Road.

Today I hone my argumentative skills with Rikshaw-waalas. While going to the Oracle office (my first day today!) I get into a Rikshaw who senses that I am new. He very plainly says – I will take you by short cut sir, please pay me 70 rupees only. When I tell him that I know the charges are 30 rupees, he shoots right back without as much as blinking an eye-lid – Ok, then give me 35 rupees. That little swine!

While returning back to the hotel, the rik guy again somehow senses that I am new and he decides to take me by a longer route. So he takes a right, then another right, then another right and almost gets me to the place I started from! I point this out to him and he mutters something under his breath and drives on. That little swine!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

hahahaa....I knew wat he probably wud hav said...*@!**

few Kannada slangs...which i suggest u shud also start learning...will help u in small run
over der

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home